Thursday, August 18, 2005
Breastfeeding from the other side.


The Big P finally showed up, so that brought a big sigh of relief. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I hate going to the doctor's and will avoid doing so at all costs.

I had an interesting conversation about breastfeeding the other day. It is one of my favorite subjects to talk about (besides politics, which I am not so open-minded about). Preggo neighbor #2 was talking about how she wanted to breastfeed this baby (her other two were both formula-fed). She was wondering how long I had to stay home for so I could do it.

STAY HOME?

I didn't really know what she was talking about, so I asked her to explain further. My good neighbor (Lisa), joined in, and I ended up being in the middle of a big Breastfeeding-in-public-is-disgusting lecture.

Wow. Hold on. Isn't is usually the formula moms who get shit about formula being 'horrible'? Didn't I actually write a post about this before? Didn't I adamantly stick up for every formula mom I have ever known, and end up using formula myself once I realized I was never going to pump more than two ounces?

Breastfeeding in public is disgusting? Wow. I hope we all stay right where we are, and that nobody deploys anywhere when we decide to have another kid. I'll be whipping them out and disgusting the masses every three hours. And I'll dress in Christmas lights and stand in my window if I need to, just to make my point. (Which is this by the way:)

Breastfeeding is not disgusting. It is not rude to do in public. It is not something to be ashamed of. It is not weird to have a baby attached to your nipple. It is natural and convenient. Most importantly: IT IS FOOD. This is what babies were created to eat (drink). Breasts, believe it or not, were not given to us simply for men to be intrigued by. And when a baby needs to eat, it needs to eat. That goes for whether you are in public or private.

I could go on and justify why breastfeeding moms should not have to pump and bring bottles around, but I do not have the time or energy. I have a lot to do. It just was so weird for me to be on the 'Other Side' of the debate for once. It makes me crazy that women can't encourage each other to do what's good for THEM, without anybody having to be better or worse because of it.

Yay to moms who breastfeed! Yay to moms who bottle-feed! Yay to all moms, no matter what they do! *Minus abuse and neglect*






4 Comments:
Blogger Heidi had this to say:

Been there done that. When I breastfed my first-born, I had to overcome my feelings of awkwardness for doing it in public b/c I didn't want to "offend" anyone...

I got over that quickly. My maternal instinct helped me to not give a shit what others thought. I was feeding my baby, for Pete's sake! I didn't give it a second thought when I had my second daughter.

I did try to be discreet about it, b/c that is what I felt comfortable with, but I still did it freely and unapologetically. There is nothing to be ashamed of, and I think it's good that you were able to share your view with your neighbors. Everyone should be free to choose what works for themselves, but imho, it's good to hear different points of view and experiences.

11:39 AM EDT 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Madres lesbianas fotos Tv wife tamiflu schweiz versand Eczema message board data recovery software What is the lowest golf score in history life insurance Dayton fragrance eli lilly tadalafil side effects Carina west lake 72 bookcase Mx3215 cpu upgrade Milk foam maker coffee Seroquel abilify &aposside effects

7:31 AM EST 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. botox cosmetic treatments prominent attorneys los angeles dui lawyer http://www.orange-county-california-divorce-attorney.info Chicago drunk driver accident lawyer Cat &aposs pain relief Sports & shirts langdon nd http://www.hewlett-packard-plotters.info Pennsylvania accutane attorney an attorney in traverse city fox sports  hockey Rhinoplasty in mn

4:39 AM EST 

Anonymous Best Nipple Covers had this to say:

Hmm. I think there are like pasties available that's specifically designed for lactating moms. It's kinda easy to put them on and off during breastfeeding. :)

2:49 AM EST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Stores!