Thursday, March 17, 2005
Deployed Again

Today I visited the website of my husband's last duty station. They are deployed again, this time to Afghanistan.

“Each one of these paratroopers is the equivalent of 10 to 15 normal humans.”Colonel William C. Mayville

My husband only stayed in Italy for eight months due to a condition that Moon has which is aggrivated by the climate. Thank God he missed deploying while he was there. The schedule of this Brigade is horrible. They are "on a year off a year", which means they will deploy to combat for a year, have a year off (which two months will be training), then deploy to combat again. That means only ten out of twenty-four months are spent at the actual duty station. This is really hard on some of the families. Three of my husband's buddies were in the process of being divorced. All three of those divorces were initiated by the wives. Two Sergents told stories about how their wives left them when they were deployed. **Please note** A lot of this may have to do with the "Family never comes first" attitude. Those words were told to both my husband and I several times during our stay.

The soldiers (and families) who manage to stay there and function within that kind of a unit are amazing. We would never have been able to do it. Some even re-enlist to stay there.

The other half, the people who hate it and can't leave (because once you sign that contract, there's not many ways around it.), are really in a bad position. I know there aren't many who want to be deployed over and over again, but it really sucks for the married soldiers who have to amend their contract to stay for three years (instead of a single soldier who stays two). I think they should throw away that policy even though financially it makes sense.

I always have trouble writing about these kinds of things because I've seen how it effects the soldiers and their families. I can never gather all my thoughts or put together anything really intellegent, but I just have to get it out somehow.






3 Comments:
Blogger Lou had this to say:

hang in there - i feel so badly for the guys who get served while they are away! all marriages take work - a military marriage takes more. being the spouse is tough. you never get to come first.

4:23 PM EST 

Blogger Heidi had this to say:

I admire the families who go through this, and my heart goes out to them. I know I could never handle the uncertainties, the long absences, the heartache that must accompany this lifestyle.... So hard for me to imagine what it must be like to live this way... All I can say is that I am so grateful to those who are willing to put their lives on the line for our their country! And while they could never receive the full credit they are due, I greatly appreciate the sacrifices made by their families as well.

10:25 PM EST 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Excellent, love it!
» »

11:13 PM EST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Stores!